Monday, February 18, 2008

Moving Mountains and More

I moved mountains on Thursday and when I say this I mean I literally moved to a different mountain. It is the next one over from where I was living. I moved from Kibagabaga to Kininya. I now live with a Rwandan family, Rongin works at the school and he has a wife and little baby girl. I am a little more outside of town and It has more of rural setting. The living arrangements are different as well and a little more realistic to how some people are living here. There is no running water. They get their water a quater mile from their house and it must be boiled to drink. The bathroom is a whole in the ground outside,They do not have a kitchen and they cook over a little coal stove. You get clean from taking some water from a bucket and splashing it on your self and this will be life for at least the next 3 weeks. The two biggest frustrations right now are trying to get around town and to work everyday because I have to walk to the main road and try to get a motorcycle taxi and communication is difficult. Communication is tough with my family that I am living with and all I can do at night is read. So I do a lot of it, which has been a challenge because I love spending time with people and I do not love to read. This is just life here and the family that I live with seems to be very content and living comfortably although it only makes me realize the many blessings that I have.
It was a really good weekend.
On Saturday I went and worked with this ministry that spends time with a community of homeless boys. They get together and teach them soccer, try and meet some of their physical needs like food and water, as well as share the love and gospel o
f Jesus with them. This is a ministry that I will be able to get involved with on a regular basis while I am here. It was a great experience as I watched and learned how they reach out to these boys and how I will be able to help and get involved. Saturday evening I was able to attend part of an African wedding reception with the Brad and Kiki and then I went to Jenny's house. Jenny is an American who teaches at a school here whom I met here through soccer and I was able to meet and hang out with some of her friends who are living and working here in Kigali. Sunday I attended my host family's church and we were there from 8-12...really long service. After we got home from church I decided to take a walk and after 3 hrs of walking I made it to the center of the city and decide it would be best to take a moto taxi back home. It was a fun adventure but I do not think I will be doing that again. So work at the school is going well. My primary work for the next two weeks will be getting some after school programs up and running so that they can begin in early March. God is doing amazing things and using people to reach out to the needs in Rwanda and I pumped just to be a small part of that for the next three months. Continue to pray for the school and its growth, The people and children here in Rwanda and for those in the south who are still recovering from the recent earthquakes.

Our President, G.W. Bush is coming on Tuesday. This is pretty exciting and has been the talk as of lately. He will be here to dedicate the new U.S. Embassy along with visit the Genocide museum... etc. I am trying my best to meet him...I mean he should want to meet every U.S. citizen that is living and working in Rwanda, Right? It will not happen but I can try.
Ephesians 5:15
Be very careful, then, how you live, not as unwise but as wise making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What is the source of your Rwandan families water supply? I assume it is not a well or they wouldn't have to boil the water. There are well digging projects in Rwanda. Is there any way your family and others could tap into a clean source of water through one of the charitable well digging groups? Check out the Fermi Project on the web.

Pete Dymond said...

Haiku number 4

Opportunity:
Driving a Mack truck through the
Barricades of life

Anonymous said...

We're enjoying reading your blog which brings Rwanda right into our home

We're praying for you.

Susan & Steve

Tim Høiland said...

sounds like the stretching is beginning for you, and that is good news.

"Wherever you are be all there." - Jim Elliot